Cupping is an ancient form of alternative medicine in which I put special cups on your skin for a few minutes to create suction. People have Cupping for many purposes, including helping with pain, inflammation, blood flow, relaxation and well-being and as a type of deep-tissue massage.
What happens during Cupping?
I will put a flammable substance in a cup and set it on fire. As the fire goes out, I will put the cups upside down on your skin. As the air inside the cup cools, it creates a vacuum. This causes your skin to rise and redden as your blood vessels expand – they are not bruises. The cup is generally left place for up to 3 minutes and the cups will also be moved around the body which will bring up the heat to the surface of the skin.
What does it feel like and how long do the marks last?
You will experience a warm, pulling stretching sensation of the skin, but not pain. The ring marks will fade away within a week. Your first treatment may leave the most marks because of stagnation of blood and Qi (energy). The follow up treatments will result in less marking, as the circulation improves and stagnation is removed.
What is Cupping used for?
- Cupping helps regulate the flow of Qi (energy), blood, stimulate muscles and move tissue and fluids
- Cupping withdraws stagnant old blood within the skin and removes toxins from the surface of the skin so helps skin problems like eczema, acne, cellulite and stretch marks
- The functioning of blood vessels within the muscles is activated in response to the stimulation, it facilities the flow of blood and removes congestion so helps muscle aches and stiffness
- Cupping improves blood flow and synovial fluids within the joints so helps joint pain caused by arthritis and fibromyalgia
- Cupping strengthens the power of digestion and absorption of nourishment therefore very good effects on chronic gastrointestinal disorders and constipation
- The circulatory system is influenced by the pull of low pressure, causing the flow of blood in the veins and arteries to increase so helps blood disorders like anaemia and haemophilia
- Treatment on the back stimulates the nervous system and various organs under its control. It controls general discomfort and pain such as chronic headaches, dizziness, stiff shoulders, fatigue etc and helps stress, anxiety, depression, worry and bodily pain. It is also effective against chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, neuralgia and rheumatism.
- Cupping strengthens the healing power against diseases and pain
- Cupping also helps respiratory infections, fertility and gynaecological disorders, food allergies, asthma and the list goes on
If you’d like to book a treatment, please contact me.